August 12 Prompt: Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
One argument or disagreement I had that I wish I could've handled better was when I was mad at my friend for getting us in trouble. My goal was to prove that my point was right, but I should've focused more on persuading instead of just trying to win. If I used the idea of understanding my audience, from the book, I would have listened to my friend's point first then explained in a way she would understand better.
In class today, we read and learned the main ideas of chapters 1-3 of Thank You For Arguing. We learned that arguing is not about winning or proving someone wrong, and its more about persuading to get the best outcome. Also it is about choosing the right approach instead of just forcing your opinion.
These chapters made me realize that I usually focus too much on proving that I am right in an argument. I can improve my arguments by setting a better mood and other standing the opponents point of view better.
Comments
Post a Comment